I was excited to Q this morning at Vets for several reasons:
- it’s an awesome park
- the PAX who call it home are definitely entertaining, to say the least
- I haven’t been to Vets in three months (since January 2nd)
This was my 3rd time Qing this week & I have to admit I was sloppy in some of the fundamentals for when you Q & as a result I didn’t do the most important thing the Q is supposed to do: take care of ALL the PAX.
I knew we were going to use the big hill & that it was going to rain last night, but yesterday I was lazy when I sent out my Pre-Blast & I didn’t advise the PAX to wear trail shoes/shoes with good tread.
More on this later, but when I was explaining the Thang I took an assumptive approach with my instructions & as a result, one PAX member got hurt. (they’re okay, but regardless someone got hurt)
Here’s what we did…
- Tony Malito
- Crock Pot
- Spygate 2.0
- Nino (QIC)
I gave the disclaimer informing the PAX I am not a professional, but everything I say is a suggestion & to modify as they felt needed. With the formalities out of the way, we started off on a mosey making two laps around the monument before circle up around the crest.
- (20) Imperial Walkers
- (20) SSH IC
It was time to get to work, the PAX partnered up & we moseyed down the paved path to the bottom of the big hill. I explained the Thang:
- Partner 1: AMRAP Hurpees (hand release Burpees)
- Partner 2: Bear Crawl 1/3 of the way up the hill to a marker, then run up the final 2/3 of the hill to the top, & return to the bottom of the hill
- Alternate, rinse & repeat for (10) Rounds
**THIS IS WHERE I LET THE PAX DOWN**
I’ve Qd at Vets before & done a similar Thang that when you get to the top of the hill you go left back over to the paved path to come back down. When I was explaining the Thang I didn’t specify to the PAX to do this. As a result, Kilo & Spygate were the first two to the top of the hill, turned around & began coming back down. Spygate is definitely competitive (which I love) & was coming down the hill HOT. Due to the wet conditions & his speed about 3-4 feet before the paved path he took a spill hitting the ground & sliding across the grass & then the pavement. He’s a tough kid, but I knew it hurt. Retainer confirmed Spygate had shredded his elbow & sides but is okay. Had I taken 10 more seconds to give the instruction to cut across the top of the hill & come down the paved path this would’ve been avoided…that’s on me & me alone. I’m sorry Retainer & even more sorry to Spygate.
This was a simple a WO, but I knew it was a good one because I heard the following:
“Nino, you suck.”
“I hate you, Nino.”
The PAX completed their 10 Rounds up the hill & 100 Hurpees (depending on how hard they were pushing themselves) & we got back up to the monument at 0605. We went over to the tomb & I explained what we were going to do to close out the WO:
- (10) Merkin-Derkins
- Do (1) regular Merkin, then put your feet up on the tomb (approximately 2 1/2 feet tall) & do (1) Derkin…this was (1)
- (1) Straight Leg Throw Down
After getting to about (7) Merkin-Derkins & (4) Straight Leg Throw Downs I decided we were going to modify with some Mary.
- (15) Straight Leg Throw Downs IC
- had to take a quick break here because Worm farted essentially in Pope’s mouth…it was awful.
- (10) Windshield Wipers IC
TIME…circle up around the crest.
- Passion Ruck on 4.19.19 at The County
- Convergence on 4.20.19 at The O
- Mrs. Kilo who’s having some tests done
- All of our F3 brothers & family who are traveling back from Spring Break
I’ve Qd a lot & would argue one of my biggest strengths is preparation & detailed instruction, but today was a reminder we can always be better. It was a privilege to lead this morning & a humbling experience I won’t forget.